Sometimes it’s tough to make personal change…
Regardless of the long-term payoff for short-term work many of us just can’t seem to tighten the hatch, hunker down and go to work on what will create the change that helps us reach our long-term goals and aspirations.
Why is that?
I can’t answer that for you…I can only answer it for me…but I can offer a couple of tips and tricks that have helped me along my journey.
This is an important question because it’s extremely hard to make a transition from point A to point B if you haven’t really identified and tracked down point A yet.
The question: Who are you? This question can only be answered by YOU. Others can provide feedback or perspective, but ultimately it will require your silence (which is hard to come by) and reflection (which is hard to find time for) to identify. Find a quiet place and make time to reflect.
What’s your brand? I don’t mean who you would like to be or imagine yourself to be, but your true persona.
The wallpaper on your cell phone or laptop computer is a great place to start. Nothing there…well maybe your Facebook profile picture.
What does that picture say about you? This matters, because this picture communicates a message that creates your brand to others…your persona.
If the picture is;
- Your child/children – It means; I’m a mom/dad. I love my child/children
- Your significant other – It means: I’m still in love
- Your favorite sports team – It means; I love this sport and I’m loyal to this team
- A sunrise – It means; I need a fresh start
- A sunset – It means; I’m sad
- A beach – It means; I need to escape this reality
- You – It means; I love myself
- You 10 years ago – I really liked myself then…not too much now
- A flower – It means; I’m delicate and I like pretty things
- Nothing – It means; I’m busy and/or boring
The correlations above…just my opinion.
Here’s the kicker…it doesn’t matter if you disagree with me, because persona isn’t about your opinion or what you want people to think of you. Persona is what people perceive your character to be!
You can’t control my opinion. You can’t control anyone’s opinion.
What you can control is what you broadcast. What you broadcast creates our opinion of you. Your broadcast creates your perceived brand and persona.
So…what are you broadcasting?
Does it match who you want to be?
If the answer is no…
Read this one more time and stay inspired…it’s a lifestyle choice!