Over 365 days ago, I was scared to death to push the publish tab on my first blog, because for the 1st time in my life I would be exposing my purpose, my passion and my dream to the world.
I knew a move like this swings the doors of criticism wide open…
I kept thinking:
- What if people don’t like what I write?
- What if they think I’m a sham?
- What will my friends and family think?
- What if I don’t catch all my grammatical errors?
…and I could go on and on labeling all the frightening and discouraging questions that came to mind.
My courage to publish came from reading Seth Godin’s work and his constant reminder to his readers to ‘just ship’.
What he means is:
- Produce your product
- Then share your product
- If your product doesn’t work then reassess and reinvent
- Then ship your new reinvented product
- So I shipped my product and a little over 365 days later.
Here we are…
Quite frankly I didn’t know what to expect. I just hoped a few people would read…get inspired…and change their lives in a positive way.
Since then…so much more has happened. This website and blog has not only exceeded my expectation, but it’s given me the confidence to do so much more.
Today Inspirational Perspective has:
- Over 800 followers
- 63 blog post
- 111 comments
- Over 7100 all-time views
- Is read and followed in 98 countries
- Inspirational Perspective’s Facebook Page has 155 Likes (http://www.facebook.com/inspirationalperspective)
- Fans from 20 different countries
- Translated into 7 languages
- Reaches approximately 300 people a week
- 42 Twitter followers @inspired_peeps
When I hit publish for the 1st time I couldn’t imagine having this kind of traffic. I knew my content wouldn’t be magnetically funny, colorful and wildly entertaining. Thus very little traffic…
My content is meant to be inspirational, but at the same time pensive and cerebral. ‘Inspirational Perspective’ requires one to take the time to read, understand and process what is being shared.
Given our 21st century global pace, (fast and busy) I came to grips that it was very likely not many people would read my content.
Well…you guys proved me wrong!
…and I want to thank each and every one of you for you readership and support. I do hope that over the past year I’ve inspired you all as much as your support has inspired me!
So…if you’re struggling with doubt and slightly discouraged and scared about stepping up to the plate when it comes to achieving your aspirations and goals…my advice to you…
Just ship it! No matter what happens…you’ll be better for it, but you never know until you do! You may just surprise yourself!
Linal M. Harris